Just in time for the holidays, the Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has announced the seasonal release of available five-digit license plates starting Monday, November 8, 2021. Beginning that day, a limited number of five-digit license plates will be made available to the public through our new online tag reservation system on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Please visit www.dmv.de.gov and select the READ MORE link in the Five-Digit Tag Release section to access the link to reserve a five-digit plate beginning Monday, November 8, 2021.
License plate numbers cannot be reserved in advance, by phone, by email or in person. The promotion will run only as long as license plate supplies last, from November 8th through December 17th. Customers are only eligible for one five-digit plate per driver’s license or ID and must meet residency requirements.
Important information about reserving your five-digit plate:
- There is one plate reservation per DL/ID allowed during this process. If more than one plate is reserved for an individual or entity, each additional reservation will be canceled by the DMV. Plates will be reserved and held at DMV until February 28, 2022, at which time all unclaimed reserved plates from this release will be re-allocated.
- All five-digit tags will be blue and gold. If choosing to upgrade your plate to black and white stainless steel or porcelain, the cost is $120 ($115 for the plate and $5 for the additional sticker). This upgrade can be completed during your visit to any Delaware DMV, or online through the Delaware Historic Plate Company. Upgrades can be completed any time after updating your title with the DMV to reflect an eligible tag number.
- The division also offers a variety of background plates which can be ordered to display your five-digit tag number. The cost of a background plate ranges from $15 – $50 and available options are displayed online and at each DMV location.
- Five-digit plates can be placed on cars or pickup trucks registered up to 10,000 pounds or less.
- Customers are responsible for all applicable transfer fees.
- Once you reserve your five-digit plate, you will receive a confirmation email with detailed instructions; please make sure that you have all your required documentation before heading to the selected DMV. You will need to bring the email confirmation and the drivers license or ID that was used for the reservation. The title must be in the same name as the DL or ID. The individual must meet residency requirements.
- Your confirmation email will contain the assigned five-digit plate; plates are issued on a first come, first served basis automatically through the online system.