Delaware State Police arrested 20-year-old Amir Harris of Millsboro, DE on drug and weapons charges following a traffic stop on Tuesday morning.
On April 5th, 2022 at approximately 12:15 a.m., a trooper on patrol in the Millsboro area observed a gray Pontiac sedan traveling southbound on Dupont Boulevard south of Delaware Avenue. The trooper observed the Pontiac fail to remain within its lane of travel and also commit a turn signal violation. A traffic stop was then initiated on Parker Circle, Millsboro. Upon contacting the operator and sole occupant, identified as Amir Harris, the trooper detected the strong odor of marijuana emitting from inside of the vehicle. Harris was asked to exit the vehicle, and as Harris complied, he fled the scene on foot. Troopers gave chase and took Harris into custody a short distance away. Upon detaining Harris, troopers discovered he was in possession of approximately .035 grams of suspected heroin and a loaded U.S. Revolver Company handgun with five .32 caliber rounds. Harris has a prior felony conviction and is a person prohibited from possessing firearms and/or ammunition.
Harris was transported to Troop 4 and charged with the following crimes:
- Possession of a Firearm by a Person Prohibited (Felony)
- Possession of a Firearm While in Possession of a Controlled Substance (Felony)
- Possession of Ammunition by a Person Prohibited (Felony)
- Carrying a Concealed Deadly Weapon (Felony)
- Resisting Arrest
- Possession of a Controlled Substance
- Possession of Drug Paraphernalia
- Criminal Mischief
- Failure to Remain Within a Single Lane
- Failure to Properly Signal
Harris was arraigned by Justice of the Peace Court # 3 and was committed to Sussex Correctional Institution on $36,750 secured bond.