Dover Police have issued a warning to Hyundai owners after a string of thefts over the past several days. According to Police, there have been five incidents of thefts in the city on Elantras and Sonatas with the use of hot wiring. While most of the vehicles were left unlock, investigators say two of the vehicles were locked by the owners. The thieves are also striking at all times of the day.
Police have released images of one of the thefts and two of the suspects from a nearby surveillance camera. You can find those pictures and tips to help secure your vehicle at TVDELMARVA-dot-COM.
Anyone with information on the cases should contact Dover Police at (302)736-7130 or Delaware Crime Stoppers at 800-TIP-3333.
Tips to Prevent Automobile Theft
• Park in a garage if possible.
• Park so that your vehicle is “blocked in” your driveway.
• Park in well-lit areas/Utilize motion activated lights/cameras outside your home if possible
• Lock and secure homes and garage doors. Doors left unlocked allow vehicle theft suspects an opportunity to search for keys and steal vehicles undetected.
• Close and lock all windows and doors when you park. Most vehicle thefts can be prevented by locking your car doors.
• Secure your valuables.
• DO NOT leave your keys in your vehicle. Keys and FOBs should NEVER be left in a vehicle, whether at home, work, or running errands. Take your keys with you!
• DO NOT leave your vehicle running unattended. Warming your car up on a cold winter morning or going inside a convenience store while your car is left running and unattended, make you vulnerable. A car thief is looking for these easy targets!