Delaware State Police arrested 54-year old Charles Smith of Millsboro, DE for a 10th-offense DUI following a crash investigation in Millsboro on Thursday morning.
On March 31st, 2022 at approximately 11:19 a.m., troopers responded to Main Street south of Daisey Road in Millsboro, DE after receiving a report that a white Dodge Ram had struck a fence at this location. It was reported that the male operator was attempting to flee the scene on foot. Troopers responded and located the the suspect, identified as Charles Smith, walking just south of the collision scene. Upon contact troopers immediately detected an odor of alcoholic beverages and a DUI investigation ensued.
A computer inquiry revealed that Smith’s driver’s license was revoked and he had been arrested for 9 prior DUI offenses. Smith was taken into custody and transported to Troop 4 where he was charged with the following offenses:
- Driving a Vehicle Under the Influence of Alcohol (Felony)
- Leaving the Scene of a Property Collision Accident
- Driving While Suspended or Revoked
- Failure to Provide Information at a Collision Scene
- Failure to Have Insurance Identification in Possession
- Failed to Remain Within a Single Lane
- Failure to Report a Collision to the Police
Smith was arraigned by Justice of the Peace Court # 2 and committed to Sussex Correctional Institution on $15,500 cash bond.